This weekend I participated in Ski to Sea. I had an excellent time, but I've come to the realization that, unless you are being chased by a bear or some other large carnivore, there is absolutely no reason to run 8 miles downhill.
Highlights of the weekend include:
- Seeing the start of the race, with 400 cross country skiers all beginning at once.
- Making friends with the last 15 or so people waiting for their skiers.
- Not seeing a bear as I ran down.
- Sticking my feet in the glacial creek when I was done with my run.
- Ghetto Pig's leg of the race, which was driving down the mountain with nearly no gas. Due to her excellent coasting skills, we made it to Maple Fuels in Maple Falls. Way to go, Ski to Sea hero!
- Eating a quarter pound of cheese and drinking a quart of lemonade when I finally got off the mountain.
- Winning the most inspirational Ski to Sea team. This was mostly due to our multicolored shirts and ability to be really loud for long periods of time.
- Winning the entire race. Way to come in first overall, Better Lovers!
- Ending Mostly Sober May and starting Strictly Schnozzled Summer with a trip to the beer garden in Jodi's trunk.
Oh Captain, My Captain (You can't see in this picture, but our shirts have literary terms like 'irony' and 'context clues' ironed onto them.)
Ski to Sea (Note the sunrise in the backround. SunRISE!)