Thursday, December 30, 2010

EXTREME TEMPERATURES!

As of 8 pm last night, when I got home from the gym, we still didn't have power. This would have been a nice time to have my super awesome head lamp, but it went missing after some lovely people visited me in South Lake Taco. (They claim not to have it, but I'm not sure that I believe them.) Since I didn't have my head lamp, I made do with my mini-maglite. (I became pretty proficient at doing things while holding my mini-mag under my chin.)

As of 10 pm, when I was ready to go to bed, we still had no power, and it was about 19 degrees out. So, as any rational person would do in this situation (no, not go stay with someone who had power), I layered. I wore fleece lined wool socks, long under wear bottoms, a tank top, a long underwear top, a hoodie, and a fleece-lined hat. I even had some ski socks for my hands in case they got cold. Between my outfit and my flannel sheets, huge down comforter, and two fleece blankets, I was quite comfortable.

The power finally came on about 2 this morning, but, unfortunately, the pipes in our kitchen had frozen. I cranked the heat (which still hadn't come back on) opened the cupboard, left for work, and hoped for the best. Eventually my roommate came home and cranked the heat even more.

When I got home from the gym (spinning....urgh) it was about 90 degrees in the apartment. As I stand in the kitchen typing this, I am wearing a tank top and my smallest gym shorts. And I'm still a little warm.

No comments: