Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Iron Girl Lake Tahoe Race Report

Katie and I, one week before Race Day!

So I didn't really take any pictures...oops! But here goes the race report!


Katie and I arrived at the Harvey's parking lot, at 6 am, definitely more early than we needed to be there, as transition didn't close until 7 am, and the first swim wave at 7:30. But we got everything set up, and had plenty of time to chill. (Literally, as it was pretty cold in the dark morning. My toes were definitely regretting my choice to wear flip flops.)

Katie and I had made the decision not to wear wetsuits at the end of August, as we had been swimming in the lake all summer in swimsuits, and didn't want to deal with the hassle of renting, practicing with them, etc. I started getting nervous about this decision when it appeared that we were literally the only ones not wearing wetsuits. Ummm....

As the group moved from the parking lot transition area to the beach where we would be swimming, we kept reassuring ourselves that we'd be fine without wetsuits- we'd only be in the water for ~10 minutes, the water was 65 degrees, we'd been in the lake since June in our bathing suits, etc. Luckily, as the start got closer, we started noticing other women only in swimsuits, or the sports bra/tri shorts combo I was wearing. They had been there all along, just hiding under their sweats, like I was.

I set up my flip flops in the "shoe transition" outside of the beach. There was a fairly long jog back to the bike transition area on asphalt, so they had a little area we could leave our shoes so we didn't have to do it barefoot. After what felt like an eternity of standing on cold, wet sand, the first wave was off!

The Swim
Katie and my leg was the last to be sent off for the 400 m swim. With the wave starts, there were about ~80 women in my wave, so the swim wasn't too crowded. I started towards the middle of the pack on the outside, and angled in toward the first buoy. There wasn't too much jostling and I didn't get kicked at all. Yay!

Katie and I planned to stick together for the race, but that proved pretty difficult in the swim leg, especially once we rounded the second buoy and the sun was in my eyes. The swim went really well. I'm glad I did so much open water swimming this summer. It definitely helped! Also, I totally didn't need a wetsuit. The water felt great!

Swim 400 m: 10:41- 166/494

Katie was out of the water pretty soon after me, so I waited by our shoes and we jogged up to transition together. She had put her down jacket back on, and I was just in a sports bra and my tri shorts, so the announcer made a funny comment about that. I took my time, put on my bike jersey, socks, shoes, helmet, sunglasses, etc. and ate some Cliff Blocks (which tasted like candy!)
and headed out on the road.

T1: 10:01

The race had closed down the two middle lanes of Hwy 50 for us to ride on which was beyond awesome! I had thought that we were going to have to ride on the shoulder. The ride definitely had some tough hills, but I had the local advantage of riding the route all summer so I knew it really well. Being in the last swim wave gave the advantage of having lots of people to pass. I would just focus on someone's back and pick them off, then move on to the next person. I definitely passed more people than I got passed by, but I know I could have pushed harder on the bike. This is my only disappointment in the race.

When I got about a mile from the finish, I started to freak out that I would forget to clip out. I don't know why I panicked about that, but I did. When I got close to transition, I clipped out, but I probably did so waaaaaay before I needed to.

Bike 24 k: 54:16- 215/494

Staying together on the bike leg proved too difficult, and I got ahead of Katie somewhere around mile 2 or 3, so I hung around in transition so we could start the run together, also, because I promised to yell at her to remember to clip out, as she'd only learned to ride in clipless shoes the week before. I changed into my running shoes, and gulped some Gatorade, as I didn't drink at all during the ride. Ooops!

T2- 7:15
Fun fact: This was the Third Slowest Overall T2!

This was by far the leg I was most proud of. I am not a runner. I don't especially love running. I am slow. I had only done about 75% of my training runs this summer. But the run went so well! Katie and I started off pretty slow, chatting about the beer and cheese we would be eating shortly, and how usually we were just now waking up for bagels and coffee at this point on a Sunday. I slowly kicked it into higher gear, and kept picking off and passing people ahead of me. The course was two loops, so it was slightly demoralizing to see the "2 miles" sign and realize that I'd only run about a mile. At one point, we saw our friend Reina, who was on her second lap and bounding like a gazelle. The course was pretty flat, with only one hill (that we had to do twice, argh) and was mostly shaded, which was nice.

Finally, I came around the corner (for the second time) where the first lap people split off from the finish line people. I ran a little farther and saw the "3 mile" sign and kicked it into higher gear. I came around the corner and sprinted towards the finish line. I heard the announcer say, "...Lynn B., from South Lake Tahoe, and she signed up for this triathlon after drinking 6 beers!" Apparently, (after drinking the aforementioned beers) that is what I put as my "interesting fact" when I signed up! Ha!

Run 5 k: 31:22- 166/494
This is totally awesome because I usually run at about a 10 m/mi pace, so it was amazing to see I'd run that fast at the end of a triathlon! I guess now I'm going to have to speed up my runs!

The Iron Girl Lake Tahoe was a great experience, and extremely well run. I haven't done any of their other events, but I would assume that they are similar. Highly recommend!

1:53:38 253/494 (I think that 7 minute T2 really pulled me down in the overall, ha!)

While I didn't really get any pictures at the race, here is a picture of Katie and my post race beverages.

Katie went with a Bloody Mary, while I went with the drink that got me into the deal- Beer!

Also, I still can't get my race number scrubbed off my arms.


Jennifer James said...

I am so proud of you! That's a bitchin run time, especially at the end!

To get the number off your arm- rub in a significant about of olive oil, and let it sit 10 minutes, then scrub off with soap. the oil pulls the ink out of your skin. :-) - Jennifer J

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

Kick ass job!!!

Heather @ The World Through My Eyes said...

Congrats!!! So excited that you had fun!!!