Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ultimate Break Up Mix

One thing that I am good at is making themed mix cd's. A good mix has just the right combination of classics and current hits, and hits a certain tone just right.

While some people think that break ups are a good time to wallow*, I personally think that a break up mix needs to be mainly upbeat, bouncy, fun, and sing-alongable.

I made this mix a couple of weeks ago for a friend, but as I've recently encountered some relationship upheaval, I have been blasting this in Strawberry as I drive with the windows down, or during my workouts or while I'm cooking, etc., etc.

So here it is, my Ultimate Break Up Summer 2011 Mix:

1. Fuck You by Cee Lo Green. Obviously the unedited version.

2. We R Who We R by Ke$ha.

3. Goodies by Ciara.

4. None of Your Business by Salt n' Pepa. Because if you don't want your Goodies to stay in the jar, it's None of Their Business.



5. Bottoms Up by Trey Songz featuring Nicki Minaj. Trey Songz can be my alcohol hero any time.

6. Fuck the Pain Away by Peaches. Break Up Mixes should not be appropriate for children.

7. Maneater by Hall & Oates. Just thinking about John Oates's mustache makes me feel better.

8. I Don't Feel Like Dancing by the Scissor Sisters.



9. How Many Licks? by Lil' Kim featuring Sisqo.

10. Tightrope by Janelle Monae featuring Big Boi. I can't embed, but do yourself a favor and go watch the video!

11. Everybody Get Up by Pitbull.

12. Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. Also a wonderful 80s movie featuring Sarah Jessica Parker in her best role.

13. Raining Men by Rhianna featuring Nicki Minaj. How was S&M a single, and this not?

14. We Run This by Missy Elliot.

15. I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston.

16. Hey Baby by Pitbull featuring T-Pain.



17. I'm the Best by Nicki Minaj. Can you tell that I love myself some Nicki?

18. Freakum Dress by Beyonce. This is what I always think about when I listen to this song.


I love America's Best Dance Crew an unreasonable amount. Especially the first few seasons.

19. A Toast to Men by Willa Ford. I don't know why this song isn't a more well known girl power/man bashing anthem.


*Sometimes, though, you do just need to wallow. And when it is that time, the perfect soundtrack is, of course, the entirety of Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette. Oh, Alanis...how I love you...even when Jodi makes fun of me for it.

No comments: