Monday, January 24, 2011

Sick. And a recipe.

Someone breathed his germs all over me this weekend, and now I feel like I have a cold coming on. Despite a valiant effort during undergrad to fight off illness with the disinfecting power of vodka and dancing, I now realize that this method doesn’t really work.

Now I usually try to beat back oncoming illness with lots of water, vitamin C (Placebo? Probably. But I love oranges, so whatever), hot beverages like tea or hot water with ginger, lemon juice, and honey, and, most importantly, soup.

I have a couple of go-to recipes that I usually make, but I didn’t have all of the necessary ingredients. After spin today, I was in no sort of mood to go to the grocery store, so I just threw this one together from stuff I found in my pantry. It turned out pretty good, so I thought that I should document my soup recipe.

Ingredients:

1.5 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp garlic paste (you can also use minced garlic)

2 small onions

3 medium carrots

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

Salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder to taste

Add the olive oil and garlic (The garlic measurement is pretty much an estimation. I just kind of plopped it in there.) to a pot (I used 4 quart) over medium heat. While the olive oil heats up, chop the carrots and onions into chunks and add to pot. Add a teaspoon of water and put on the lid. Let the veggies cook until you can easily stick a fork through the carrots, stirring every few minutes. When the veggies are cooked, add the beans and tomatoes (including the liquids), 2 cans of water, and the spices to taste. Turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, turn it down to where the soup is simmering. Let it simmer at least 20 minutes, up to an hour if you have time.

Voila! Delicious soup. Serve and enjoy!

Nutrition facts (1 serving = ~2 cups):

194 calories, 3.2 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 15 g fiber, 8.4 g protein

No comments: