Sunday, January 23, 2011

This is the face I'm making

Dan headed back to Santa Barbara, back to the land of sunshine, beaches, and really cheap avocados. I'm a little jealous. And kind of sore from skiing.

My workout routine usually gets kind of thrown off when I have visitors. I got a spin class and a twenty minute run and some weights in on Thursday before Dan got here, but Friday was a double whammy of laying around and imbibing a few beers with people visiting that I knew from grad school. Skiing was super fun, but I'm not sure how much of a cardio boost it was. Seriously. I skied sooooo sloooowly.

After we went skiing, we stopped at the Burger Lounge. If you are ever in South Lake Tahoe, go eat at this place! Amazing veggie burgers, and the omnivores present seemed to like there meat burgers. We also ordered an order of cheese fries to split. Holy cow, it was the most cheese I've ever seen on one dish. Piles and piles and piles of delicious melty cheddar goodness on hand cut fries. But I cannot overestimate the amount of cheese there was. We asked the cook and he told us "only 7 ounces." Seven ounces?! That's almost a half pound. We ate and ate, and it didn't even seem to make a dent in the amount left. Never ending cheese fries. I took them home and ate some later, and there were still about a bazillion cheese fries left. I finally admitted defeat and threw them away, where they took up half my garbage can.

I decided that instead of wallowing when Dan left, I would hit the gym for an endorphin boost (and possibly counteract some cheese fries). I ran for 30 minutes (my "long" run for the week), rode the stationary bike for 25 minutes, and did the elliptical for 25 minutes. I stretched for a long time (my hip flexors are really really sore from skiing) and did some planks.

I'm really glad that I started weight lifting again this winter. I haven't done it regularly for awhile, and I'm definitely getting stronger. While it's always nice seeing definition in my arms and legs, I absolutely love feeling stronger. I hadn't gone skiing in years, (and really only a few times ever) but it felt so much easier this time, and I really think that it's because my legs are so much stronger than the last time I went. I felt like I had so much more control over my legs and what they were doing. Hopefully, this will carry over into mountain biking next season. Which isn't coming until July.

Ugh.

I need to learn to love a winter sport.

No comments: