Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's about damn time

I finally put pedals on my new bike and took it out. I know, I know...it's been weeks since I got it.

I get nervous about new things.

Since I was worried about how heavy this bike is compared to my hardtail that I'm used do, I decided to ease into it, and drove up to the Powerline trail head.

Hauling this thing around cemented my resolution to get a rack for Strawberry. Lifting that bike into the back of my CRV was not fun after swimming in the morning.


I pedaled/pushed my way up the first incline, and was greeted with this view:

I could even see a sliver of Lake Taco in this one:

Initially, this ride was pretty miserable, due to deep sand, unexpected mud and an unfamiliar bike. I'm glad I pressed through though, because it got awesome.

I got used to the new bike, and reveled in how smooth the suspension was! While it's definitely heavier than my hard tail, I was impressed by how well it climbed.



It turns out that when I'd been riding "Powerline" in the past, I was actually spending a good amount of time on a different trail (maybe Cedar?). This time, on my way back, I followed the signs correctly and rode the actual Powerline Trail. It ended up being even more fun that the one I usually ride. I even hit some steeper stuff, that I think I'd normally be too chicken to try.

All in all, it was a great first ride on my new bike! I even managed to get a tiny bit muddy.


No comments: