Tuesday, February 8, 2011

If I had one magical power it would be...

Apparation*. I would want to be able to apparate. While there are many situations that apparating would be useful, (saving the environment by not driving to work every day, going to Santa Barbara without spending 9 hours in a car each way, escaping from zombies) I mainly want to be able to travel directly from the relaxation part at the end of yoga to my bed without having to get up or go outside. This would be especially useful on nights like tonight when it is 20 degrees out, and the wind is blowing 30 miles an hour, and my car is at the far end of the dark parking lot.

Instead of walking/freezing/un-relaxing, poof! I would be immediately in my bed. Then I would use the Imperius curse to force my roommate to make me tea. Or maybe I'd just ask nicely.

*I would not pick oculus reparo like someone we know.

In my excitement about the toffee that came in the mail today, I forgot to mention the other exciting package I got this weekend. I got new Superfeet inserts for my shoes! Apparently, I flatten my arches when I run, and along with some congenital knee issues, I had really horrible knee pain in high school. I saw a really awesome sports medicine doctor who diagnosed my issue, and, since then I've mostly run with orthotics in my shoes. When I was on my parents insurance, I had custom made ones that were really nice. Since then, though I've worn Superfeet Green.

In October I realized that my inserts were about 2 and a half years old. Ooops. Definitely supposed to replace them more often than that. I didn't put them in my new shoes, and had been running without them in December and January, but I started to get some twinges of knee pain at the beginning of February so I ordered some from ebay (brand new), and used money I had in my pay pal account, so it's like they were free!

I started breaking them in on Monday (I guess it's more like breaking my feet into them, though!) with a walk/run for 30 minutes. The last time I took a break from inserts, I got horrible blisters on the arches of my feet when I started wearing them for 4 or 5 mile runs, so I was hoping to avoid that by running shorter distances until my feet are used to them. Today I ran two miles at a 9:30 - 10 min mile pace (That's the longest I've been able to hold that pace at altitude! Yay!). I started to get some hot spots on my feet toward the end, but no blisters yet.

Now I'm just wondering if I should put them in my spin shoes. Anyone know? Are inserts good for bike shoes?

No comments: