Friday, March 18, 2011

Free Guinness Earmuffs!

I got off work a little early yesterday, so I got to hit the gym a little early and watch UCSB get pummeled from the elliptical before spin class. I ended up doing 45 minutes on the elliptical and then 90 minutes of spinning.

I was super hungry by the time I left the gym, but instead of eating like a responsible human, I instead picked up Katie and we headed to MacDuff's for some St. Patrick's Day fun.

I hadn't gone out for St. Patrick's Day in a couple of years. Not since I'd been in B-ham with these crazies:


We must have had some pretty awesome parking karma, because we got a spot right away. It was packed inside, so we had a beer while we waited for a table to open up.

Pint of strong beer + no dinner + more than 2 hours of cardio = that one beer hit me pretty hard.

Luckily, we were finally able to flag down a waiter and order some food. I had some delicious veggie pizza, french fries, and more beer. Some of Katie's coworkers, and our intern Carissa showed up, and a good time was had by all. And more beer was had. Of course, in honor of the holiday, we also had Irish Car Bombs. And I got free Guinness earmuffs!

I had a lovely (if cold) walk back to my car in MacDuff's parking lot this morning. Luckily for my flat-clad feet, it didn't start snowing until about 2 pm this afternoon. It's snowed a good couple of inches already.

In exciting, snow-related news- my snowboard came! I now have a board and bindings, I just need boots and to put all of them together. Last weekend's snowboarding outing was pretty frustrating by day two. Learning something new is so hard! I might pay to take a lesson this weekend.

My knees were really bugging me this weekend, and I think that I just have to admit that my knees can't handle half marathon training right now. Goodbye, American River Half. I think that part of the problem is that my running is pretty much exclusively on the treadmill right now. Maybe I'll try again this summer when I can run on a more forgiving surface, like trails or the beach.

So I'm going to stick with the more manageable distances in tri-training, snowboarding, and dreaming about bike season.





No comments: