Tonight was option #2
Beer: Boulder Brewing Company, Flashback India-Style Brown Ale (two thumbs up, and only $14 for a 12 pack at the Gross Out).
Buffy: Season 1 (I'm watching from the beginning)
Soup: Lentil Curry Spinach Potato Onion Garlic (I need catchier names for my soups)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1.5 cups potatoes chopped into 1 inch cubes
1.5 cups lentils
1.5 tbsp curry powder
7 cups water
1 tsp sea salt
3-4 cups spinach chopped
1. Drink some beer (or wine or coffee or hot chocolate or other delicious beverage0.
2. Heat up olive oil and saute garlic and onion on medium until "golden" (or yellow, which is less appetizing) into big pot with a lid.
3. Meanwhile cook potatoes (I used 3 small russets) for about 2.5 minutes in the microwave. Chop into 1 inch chunks and toss into pot.
4. Cook the veggies for another 5 minutes or so.
5. Add the water (or broth, if you wish, and I imagine you could use dairy if you wanted a creamier soup) and lentils and heat to a boil.
6. Reduce to simmer and add curry powder and salt.
7. Let simmer until lentils are thoroughly cooked. (35 ish minutes)
8. Don't forget to continue to drink your beverage of choice.
9. When lentils are cooked through, taste, and add more seasoning to taste.
10. Add spinach. Let simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
11. Enjoy! Maybe with another beverage.
Now, imagine that I am a responsible blogger and I took pictures of this process and the delicious result.